The Community Writing Center operates during the Spring 2024 semester from January 16 to May 3.
The Community Writing Center offers one-on-one writing assistance to Johnson County community members working on ANY kind of writing project:
- job applications materials, including resumes and cover letters
- school assignments, scholarship essays, college application essays, and materials
- emails, social media posts, website content,
- letters of all kinds, including to judges, immigration officials, parole officers and landlords
- autobiographical writing, family histories, and local history projects
- speeches and presentations
- creative writing: short stories, books, plays, poetry
- basic Microsoft Word and web navigation skills related to writing
The Community Writing Center is staffed by instructors from the UI Writing Center and the Writing Center at Kirkwood Community College. It is funded by a grant from the Community Foundation of Johnson County, with additional support from UI Department of Rhetoric and Kirkwood Community College.